Thursday, December 3, 2015

What's a mother to do?

Long ago I knit three sweaters for my daughters and myself out of Lion Brand's Homespun, which is both warm and lightweight, in a lovely quick pattern, one of those freebies hanging from the shelf of yarn in the store. It knit up into a sloppy, hooded, sweatshirt-like sweater, perfect for kicking around the house. Aside from the fact that Homespun is useless for seaming, I was very pleased with the results. And the sweaters, being acrylic, have lasted and lasted.

Fast forward to the present, when KD informed me that life had thrown her a curve as she transitioned between jobs. Her Favorite Sweater (see above) was in storage in one state, and she was  in another state. And it was getting cold.

I popped out to the store for yarn and knit her another. I know she has other sweaters (knit by her mom, even!), but this was her Favorite Sweater. Even if it had stretched a bit to grow with her and was definitely wearing out. It took me a hair over three weeks. It's a really fast knit.


Pattern: Lion Brand's Hooded Knit Sweater

Yarn: Lion Brand Homespun in Pueblo

Mods:
- made a pocket (not yet attached)
- made sleeves longer and added thumb-holes
- decreased 6 stitches over 6 rows at top center of hood to avoid a pointed peak
- knit body and sleeves in the round to avoid seams
- the few unavoidable sewing (attaching pocket and sewing down front edges of hood) done with some smooth sport-weight acrylic black yarn.

1 comment:

  1. Did you also knit one of those for me? It seems I recall having a you-knitted sweater in Homespun, with a hood. And if it hadn't just now FINALLY gotten cold enough to get out my winter clothes, I'd already know this for sure, but for now I'm just going on memory.

    ReplyDelete