Monday, December 14, 2015

Thrummed Mittens



This was a Thrum Mitten Kit I bought several years ago. The astute reader will recognize the background in the yarn photo and not be surprised to discover it was purchased at a certain museum that I wish sold yarn more often. The company has a sky blue mitten kit on their website at the moment that is very appealing. But nobody needs TWO pairs of thrummed mittens.

I had watched my friend's experiment with thrummed mittens a few years back (they looked a bit like boxing gloves), and so ignored the instructions and made much smaller thrums. I also realized that the pattern, as written, had no cuff to speak of. I took the leftover bulky yarn from this project, divided it in half, and knit two cuffs in ribbing on size 10 dpns. Then I started the Mittens and knit the cuffs in just before starting the thrums.


I like the way they turned out.  I like the way the thrums make little heart shapes on the knitted surface. They are very warm, but not impossibly bulky. I like the nice long cuffs that stay tucked under coat sleeves.  And I like that they match the hat (despite the fact that I have no idea where it is at the moment).

No comments:

Post a Comment