Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Delightfully Different and Unexpected

No red-purple to see here! Instead, autumnal colors. This is the most soothing knit. The pattern is instantly memorized (Linen stitch: knit one stitch, slip one stitch purlwise with yarn in front). Nearly every stitch is a different color, and I can watch them go by under my fingers and think of nothing at all beyond, "I'm making something really pretty."

Monday, March 12, 2018

Wisconsin Warmth

I knit a tube.

Yarn: 1/2 skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Oxford grey
Needles: size 8 (5.00 mm) 16"-circular
Pattern: Melissa Mall's Tubular, in medium ("child")

Then I knit a hat.

Yarn: the other 1/2-skein of grey Wool-Ease
Needles: size 8 (5.00 mm) dpns and 16"-circular
Pattern: made it up to match the tube. Mason-Dixon Knitting provided the Pinhole cast-on instruction - and some day, I'm going to make that mouse. I cast on 8 sts and increased 8 sts every other row until I had 80 sts. Then as I switched to the circular from the dpns, I dropped every 4th stitch down to just after it was created and used a crochet hook to bring it up in pattern (purl-knit). I knit in the same pattern as the tube until I ran out of yarn, then frogged 7 rows, did four rows of k1xp1 ribbing and Jeny's bind off (which takes 2 rows' worth of yarn). I'm not sure why 6 rows wasn't enough, but trust me, it wasn't.

Worn together, they are really warm. Hopefully warm enough for a Wisconsin winter.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018


I bought some new yarn, using the last of my retirement gift money. With all of WEBS to choose from, I narrowed it down by looking at patterns languishing in my Ravelry queue for lack of yarn.

I'm going to make Hitofude out of this yarn -

madelinetosh's Tosh Merino Light in Spectrum.

And I'm going to make a Chickadee Cowl like the one here - same yarn and everything, Malabrigo's Rios in Arco Iris. Except that my colorway doesn't look anything like hers. There's just no way I would describe that as red-purple. So either magic is going to happen when I knit it up, or something delightfully different and unexpected will occur.

Monday, March 5, 2018

Roman Stripes

I had chosen yarn for a test knit when I realized that it had been partially used. Yarn stretches a little when used, and I worried this would screw up the important yardage-usage part of the test knit. So I pulled a skein of yarn out of my stash that had never been used. And the Prince of Serendip smiled on me.

An innocuous ball of Trekking XXL knit up into the prettiest shawl, with subtle Roman stripes. It's a keeper.

Yarn: one 100-gram skein of Zitron Trekking XXL in 91 Rose (not a colorway they still offer, it seems)
Pattern: Kinoknits' Anna Karenina
Mods: I knit a central pattern motif to maximize my yarn usage - I had 3 grams left at the end.

The shawl is knit side to side with the edging happening as you go. It was a quick knit - I made it in a week. It takes me longer than that to knit a pair of socks (which, to be fair, I was doing at the same time).