Monday, October 21, 2013

How can anything that small make a noise that big?



   I was awoken a good hour before my alarm this morning by an Eastern Screech Owl - according to that page, a whinny followed by trills. Whinny? Horse never occurred to me. I described it to a co-worker later as "the scream of a woman being stabbed, and then purring about it."

I knew as soon as the trills started that it was a bird, and given the hour, an owl, but I had to look it up over breakfast to see which one.

I'm fond of owls, but unlikely to see them in the wild, so I settle for identifying their calls. Now I can add this one to my previous catalog of Barred Owl (who cooks for you?) and Horned Owl. I don't think I've ever heard a Saw-whet, the other owl listed on that page.

Needless to say, I did not get back to sleep. If we could train them, what alarm clocks they would make!

Grey and Rufous Eastern Screech Owl photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment