Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hats for Liz

Rumor has it that some months ago Liz saw a selection of NKD's hats, knit for her by mom and sister, and complained that our family had not made her any hats. So we did. Not least because she made it safely home from her last tour of duty.

The boys are still working on their contribution (newspaper hats - why do mine always turn into boats before I can stop them?).

NKD picked up her needles again, and turned out a very creditable watch cap (but she's still NKD, because she still doesn't enjoy the process):

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease (80% acrylic, 20% wool) in one of the blue-ish heathers
Needles: Size 7 circulars and dpns
Pattern: Cast on 88 sts, work K2,P2 ribbing for 10", K2, P2tog; work another inch, K2tog, P1, work another inch, K2tog twice around, cut yarn and pull through remaining stitches.

KD, after a false start (we don't need no stinking gauge swatch) that found a happy home, made a perfectly lovey spiral hat:

Yarn: Red Heart Worsted (100% acrylic) in rust, a discontinued color I bought scads of back when I was churning out gingerbread men almost daily
Needles: size 7 circular
Pattern: Hurricane Hat (non-Ravelry link here)

Rumor had also revealed to me that Liz had a fondness for the currently popular South American chullo (earflap hat), so with NKD's help on picking colors, I contributed this one:

Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss DK (70% wool, 30% silk) in Jade, Grass, and Cream
Needles: size 6 circulars and dpns
Pattern: Alpaca Earflaps
Loved this yarn, and I have enough left to make something else - maybe a scarf? Lots of people had issues with the pattern. I left the claw pattern out of the earflaps, did a half-double-crochet edging instead of double crochet, and finished with braided colors instead of I-cord. The stockinette edge was partially tamed by the edging, and stops flipping up entirely when worn.

Welcome home, Liz!

3 comments:

  1. 1. Joined Ravelry so I could see the pattern; looked around; loved it; decided to stay forever.

    2. I think the braided cords look way better than the I-cord.

    3. Where did KD's false start end up? (in what happy home?)

    4. Are you going to post pictures of the newspaper hats too? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the gingerbread color quite clearly; this hat comes out BRIGHT orange at ths end. Not but what I like that even better. . . . I vote with KS; let's see the newpaper hats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hey, a mistake with a Liz hat lead to DD getting a hat.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/akkasha/5365007521/in/set-72157622355177475/

    Thanks cousin A!

    ReplyDelete