Friday, May 19, 2017

At the End of the Day

Today I learned the difference between sundowning and sunsetting, a task not made any easier by my co-workers not being familiar with either term.

Sundowning, a term I had at least heard, is a symptom of Alzheimer's. It labels the confusion and agitation that often occur at the end of the day. Mr. Internet says that at this point we really don't know whether it's caused by hormonal changes that begin to kick in at night, fatigue at the end of the day, or fear of getting around in decreased light.

But that wasn't actually the word in front of me. The pop-up on my screen said one of my computer tools was sunsetting at the end of the month. So I stopped imagining my tool wandering around, agitated and confused, and saw it instead riding off into the sunset. I still thought that was a pretty fanciful way to describe decommissioning, so I looked it up.

It turns out sunsetting is a legitimate computer term for decommissioning an application while retaining the data it stored/presented. Which was a perfectly apt description in the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment