Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March Madness

NKD asked me if I could figure out how to knit the poncho from The Emperor's New Groove. The one with the llama on it. Out of alpaca.

Once I got over the idea of knitting a poncho, it was a pretty easy project, especially since I chose bulky weight yarn. And copying a cartoon in knitting turns out to be pretty easy - not a lot of detail to deal with. Copying cartoon colors, on the other hand, since I'm not a dyer myself, turned out to be much harder.

We compromised on the amount of pure alpaca in the finished product; camelid yarn is notoriously expensive. I went with pure alpaca for the dark green stripes at top and bottom, and a much cheaper alpaca/acrylic mix for the main body and picture. How much cheaper? The yarn for the dark green stripe cost almost as much as all of the rest of the yarn for the project put together.

I've not met the recipient, but I'm sympathetic to most cosplay, since it's not that far removed in spirit from Renaissance Faire garb. I hope it meets his expectations.

Yarn: Cascade Yarns Baby
          Alpaca Chunky
,
         4 skeins Olive Heather,

and Bernat Alpaca,
       6 skeins Fern,
       1 skein each Wheat,
         Tomato, and Stone

Needles: 10.5

Pattern: Mitered Unisex
Poncho
from Lion Brand
as a base, plus an intarsia
rectangle appliqued to the
center front




I had a little of the pure alpaca left, so I knit a scarf for a friend...

Yarn:      Cascade Yarns Baby Alpaca Chunky
               in Olive Heather

Needles: 9

Pattern:  The Fidget

Mods:    I used the twisted moss stitch pattern to
              make a cushy scarf rather than a neck
              warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment