Thursday, October 5, 2017

Lap Blanket

The last of the charity knitting for this go-round. Instructions were for 8x8" squares, yarn was Red Heart SuperSaver mammoth skeins, one in a royal blue that loved the camera, one - slightly smaller - in a soft variegation of greens and purples. Size 8 (5 mm) needles, H crochet hook.


I got nearly-10 squares of the variegated, and easily 10 squares of the blue. I used the blue to add the last inch to the last variegated square and placed that square on the center edge so it would look deliberate - you can just see it on the right edge of the photo below.

With all of the variegated squares finished, I attached the blue squares in strips by starting each one from the side stitches (the garter ridge bumps) of a variegated square. When it came time to bind off a blue square (unless it was an edge), I picked up the side stitches from the next variegated square and did a Kitchener variation of  "(front) as if to knit, as if to purl, (back) as if to knit as if to purl" which resulted in a garter stitch, seamless-looking connection.

I connected the strips by just running the yarn up through the side stitches and cast-on/bound-off stitches alternately. I finished with a row of single crochet with an extra chain at the corners.


I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment